Records in piano

Becker, Lawrence (BECKERLR) BECKERLR@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:29:43 -0500

I've been reading the responses to this.  I don't myself leave a record in
the piano of my private customers, but I now see there are good reasons for
doing so.  The most egregious "territory marking" I have seen was when I
used to service the pianos on the Delta Queen steamboat on its (her?) calls
in Cincinnati.  Those pianos were tuned every 5-7 days in different ports
all up and down the rivers, so any one person's tuning wasn't leaving a
large imprint on the piano.  Yet this one fellow in Pittsburgh had to write
his name in Magic Marker on the keys every time he sat down at the bench.
Every one else was content to leave their card under the lid, maybe with
tuning dates written on it.  Some people just have to yell all the time, I
guess.

Lawrence Becker, RPT
Piano Technician
College-Conservatory of Music