Records in piano

Mary C. Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:05:59 -0700

>         I've been pondering this for some time. Why do we, as technicians,
>feel compelled to place a card, service history chart or other such records
>or advertisements under the lid of uprights?

I like reading people's answers on this, so I will chime in here. I agree a
bit with Tom McNeil, who pointed out that the card, sticker, or whatever, is
a reminder for ourselves more than anything. It is especially helpful at the
University, where there are so many pianos, but I use it out in the field as
well. I write down, in my own shorthand, what I did, the date, and what the
temperature and relative humidity were at the time. This is a "C.M.A." move
that has proved its merit on more than one occasion, when tunings go out
immediately after I've done them (of course, this happens oh so rarely!!!).
Usually we've had a major weather change, and my little record can show the
difference in RH, especially, that has caused the shift. I do, however, have
two super-picky clients who don't like me leaving stickers in their pianos.
So I don't. I put it on my quaint little 3x5 card that I still use instead
of a palm pilot and computerized records....ahem....