Records in piano

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:26:16 -0800

At 08:35 PM 3/13/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I Especially despise writing inside pianos, but some of my clients insist a
>record be kept INSIDE the piano. (A card is OK, I guess)

I don't like scribbling on pianos, either, especially grands. I sometimes
(not often) leave a record by pasting a business card (a dot of white glue
under
each corner) on the underside of the music desk. If I see other recent
records in an upright, I sometimes glue my card next to the them,
especially if I've done some repairs.

Why do it at all?

Well -- what can I say? It's fun. In the future, people will know how the
piano was
kept, and in the distant future, they'll probably enjoy finding a yellowed
old card from a previous century ... like when we find bits of Yiddish
newspapers used as paper keypunchings, or cardboards from French cigarette
packages
used to shim up the balance rail.

It can also indicate in which region a piano lived, which can be helpful.

Susan