Records in piano

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:26:05 -0800

At 12:11 PM 3/17/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>I am interested in hearing about the voicing marks you use.

Hello, Isaac.

My marks vary a little, but are pretty simple. For spacing,
I make diagonal lines down from the edges of the keysticks,
one to three, depending on the amount of spacing needed.
Travelling I don't mark -- I just do it.

For voicing, since I make several passes, I leave the marks
for each pass a different place -- the first pass I mark just
behind the keytop, and the second is usually up on the shipping
rail. The third varies somewhat.

The marks are: a vertical line for normally bright, just a
small dot for barely bright, and a big sloppy mark the whole
width of the keystick for "unholy tin-can" bright. If a note is
too soft or fluffy-sounding, I use a hollow circle.

String-by-string voicing I usually do with the chopstick
tool through the strings, so I don't need to mark for it.

Regards,

Susan