1974 M & H B

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:09:40 -0500

Dear List-
    Has anyone on the list had experience rebuilding big M & H's of =
1970's vintage.
    A piano teacher has a 1974 B in need of serious rebuilding or =
replacement. =20
    The action will need redesigning (there is nothing left of the old M =
& H action design) , it needs a new pinblock and probably wapin bridge =
pinning. =20
    The front bearing is ridiculously steep.  Hell to tune and ugly, =
too. I'm wondering if I can grind away some of the plate or bearing bars =
to reduce it.
    The agraffes stop at G#3.  I don't think this was the original B =
plate design, was it?
    Despite what amounts to a rape of a once wonderful design, there is =
still something magic in the sound of this instrument.
    If I do every good thing we can do for a piano, will it be a stable, =
dependable instrument, or will the problems start just to the other side =
of where I stop?
    I'd appreciate any words of wisdom and experience.
        Ed Sutton