1974 M & H B

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:34:00 -0800

There is a BB at a small college here that was rebuilt recently. Guy used
Isaac hammers - the tone is really lovely, not a 70s vintage tho. If the
action geometry can support it, I think that these pianos benefit from a
heavier hammer. You can get more color, dynamic range and power that way.

Alan

Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
509-359-7017
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu

  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Tim
Coates
  Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 6:46 PM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: Re: 1974 M & H B

  Hi Ed,

  I did some checking to make sure I have my facts straight.  Tim Geinert
(Certified Wapin Installer) did a 70's MHBB like you are talking about.  He
didn't do anything to the plate as you are talking.  He says the tuning
control is all right, but not wonderful in that area.  He used Wally Brooks'
thinned shanks, would recommend Ronson hammers (not what he put on), and
installed Wapin.  The piano is at a music school and now is considered the
best piano they have.  I am going to see the piano tomorrow.  If you want to
talk with  Tim I can get you his email address.

  He gave me a good bit of advice about some of the 1970's Mason & Hamlins:
watch out for the pinblock.  Not ALL are  glued and doweled.  This MHBB had
a free floating pinblock.  It turned out the last MHA I did from the 1930's
had the same thing.   You can wedge and glue the pinblock to the stretcher
to hold it in place as the plate comes out.

  Contact me if you want his email address.  His home number is in the
directory.

  Tim Coates
  Wapin Company LLP

  Ed Sutton wrote:

    Dear List-
        Has anyone on the list had experience rebuilding big M & H's of
1970's vintage.
        A piano teacher has a 1974 B in need of serious rebuilding or
replacement.
        The action will need redesigning (there is nothing left of the old M
& H action design) , it needs a new pinblock and probably wapin bridge
pinning.
        The front bearing is ridiculously steep.  Hell to tune and ugly,
too. I'm wondering if I can grind away some of the plate or bearing bars to
reduce it.
        The agraffes stop at G#3.  I don't think this was the original B
plate design, was it?
        Despite what amounts to a rape of a once wonderful design, there is
still something magic in the sound of this instrument.
        If I do every good thing we can do for a piano, will it be a stable,
dependable instrument, or will the problems start just to the other side of
where I stop?
        I'd appreciate any words of wisdom and experience.
            Ed Sutton