1974 M & H B

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 18:09:14 -0600

>     A piano teacher has a 1974 B in need of serious rebuilding or
> replacement.
>     The action will need redesigning (there is nothing left of the old M
> & H action design) , it needs a new pinblock and probably wapin bridge
> pinning.
>     The front bearing is ridiculously steep.  Hell to tune and ugly, too.
> I'm wondering if I can grind away some of the plate or bearing bars to
> reduce it.

You can if there's enough iron there to work with.

>     Despite what amounts to a rape of a once wonderful design, there is
> still something magic in the sound of this instrument.

Then why in the world would it need Wapin bridge pinning?

>     If I do every good thing we can do for a piano, will it be a stable,
> dependable instrument, or will the problems start just to the other side
> of where I stop?
>     I'd appreciate any words of wisdom and experience.
>         Ed Sutton

If you do every good thing you can do for a piano, there won't BE anything
past where you stop that will cause problems. It's where you start
whittling away at the things that should be done as expedience and cost
cutting concerns that you find out you stopped too soon. Can't have it both
ways.

Ron N