Info on HVAC

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:42:58 -0500

Hi Lisa,
     Having been through a new building program with "humidity control",  my advice to any school is this:

1.  Get the expected seasonal relative humidity levels from the design firm in writing. (agree first on an acceptable range).
2.  Ensure that designer has checked the local water to ensure that an additional treatment system is added if needed to protect humidifiers.
3.  Monitor the construction of it carefully so that all specs are truly followed
4.  Make certain that the building is designed to withstand high winter interior humidity,  (Proper windows, doors, and vapor barrier)
5.  Make certain that during construction vapor barriers are not breached
6.  Check rooms in each zone of the building using sling psychrometer readings every day to ensure that all is ok.
7.  Demand that local HVAC persons receive training and needed support in operating and diagnosing problems with the system.

We had problems in all seven areas which took about five years to solve,  and now that the system is working, it is item number 4 that may yet kill us.  We are having humidity leaching through the outside structure causing the outside of the blocks to be wet.   Water is also collecting on windows and frames.   This is unacceptable for the building, as freezing will destroy the blocks.  It's a problem for people who work in it due to potential mold problems.  I don't know what the outcome will be, but we have had to lower our winter humidity level while engineers study the situation.

-Mike Jorgensen
Piano Technician
School of Music
Central Michigan University