Yamaha CFIII Voicing

Tom Merrill gjtuner@attbi.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:32:21 -0700

List:
I am the contract tech at Mesa State College in Grand Junction, CO. We =
have a new 280 seat recital hall that has a very bright lively acoustic =
and is easily overdriven by vocals and instrumentals.  I'm having a =
"dickens" of a time keeping the Yamaha CFIII (circa 1987) with Yamaha =
hammers voiced down fairly mellow yet articulate to please the pianists. =
 They want lots of color with projection, but not too loud.  The piano =
gets used for solos and accompanying small ensembles and vocals.

I took every voicing class and voicing tutoring in Chicago last summer =
and the Little Red School House last fall, but lack the 30 years =
experience demanded by the situation!!

I can get the level of brightness where we like it for a short period of =
time by high shoulder needling and a little sugarcoating on the crown.  =
But a week or two later, the felt packs down and it gets too bright =
again.  I've read in the archives that this piano has a fairly heavy SB =
structure to compensate for the softer woods in the rim and needs a =
fairly robust (w)hammer to get things moving.  It seems to me that we =
may have the wrong instrument and/or hammers for the application and =
that if we want a delicate, articulate colorful piano, we oughta buy a =
Steinway that sounds that way to begin with.  Too bad the State of =
Colorado doesn't win its own lottery....

Is anyone else successful in what I am trying to do and could share some =
tips?  I've thought about putting on a set of Isaac Cadenzas.  Is this a =
good idea? The other piano in the room for duets is a Yamaha C7 (circa =
2000). =20

Thanks for your ideas.

Tom Merrill
Grand Junction, CO (where minimum wage is a high paying job)