Yamaha CFIII Voicing

Serge Harel serge.harel@videotron.ca
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:38:50 -0400

Tom
=20
I work at University Laval in Qu=E9bec and I take care of the 3 S&S D in
our 240 seat recital hall.
If yours piano is use 12 hours every day like us. You should convince
yours boss to change the hammer every 5 years.
It takes me 10 years to convince our Dean=85
=20
Good lock
=20
Serge Harel
=20
-----Message d'origine-----
De : caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] De la part de
Tom Merrill
Envoy=E9 : 21 mars, 2003 12:32
=C0 : caut@ptg.org
Objet : Yamaha CFIII Voicing
=20
List:
I am the contract tech at Mesa State College in Grand Junction, CO. We
have a new 280 seat recital hall that has a very bright lively acoustic
and is easily overdriven by vocals and instrumentals.  I'm having a
"dickens" of a time keeping the Yamaha CFIII (circa 1987) with Yamaha
hammers voiced down fairly mellow yet articulate to please the pianists.
They want lots of color with projection, but not too loud.  The piano
gets used for solos and accompanying small ensembles and vocals.
=20
I took every voicing class and voicing tutoring in Chicago last summer
and the Little Red School House last fall, but lack the 30 years
experience demanded by the situation!!
=20
I can get the level of brightness where we like it for a short period of
time by high shoulder needling and a little sugarcoating on the crown.
But a week or two later, the felt packs down and it gets too bright
again.  I've read in the archives that this piano has a fairly heavy SB
structure to compensate for the softer woods in the rim and needs a
fairly robust (w)hammer to get things moving.  It seems to me that we
may have the wrong instrument and/or hammers for the application and
that if we want a delicate, articulate colorful piano, we oughta buy a
Steinway that sounds that way to begin with.  Too bad the State of
Colorado doesn't win its own lottery....
=20
Is anyone else successful in what I am trying to do and could share some
tips?  I've thought about putting on a set of Isaac Cadenzas.  Is this a
good idea? The other piano in the room for duets is a Yamaha C7 (circa
2000). =20
=20
Thanks for your ideas.
=20
Tom Merrill
Grand Junction, CO (where minimum wage is a high paying job)