Yamaha CFIII Voicing

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:11:32 -0700

At 09:32 AM 3/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>List:
>I am the contract tech at Mesa State College in Grand Junction, CO. We
>have a new 280 seat recital hall that has a very bright lively acoustic
>and is easily overdriven by vocals and instrumentals.  I'm having a
>"dickens" of a time keeping the Yamaha CFIII (circa 1987) with Yamaha
>hammers voiced down fairly mellow yet articulate to please the
>pianists.  They want lots of color with projection, but not too loud.  The
>piano gets used for solos and accompanying small ensembles and vocals.
><SNIP>
>Tom Merrill
>Grand Junction, CO (where minimum wage is a high paying job)

Tom,
     Very good voicing advice from the list, don't forget squeezing.
Especially in the upper bass where the "nasal" syndrome seems to reside.
Also, if you still get a lot of sizzle in the capo, you can use a strip of
gaffers tape on the non-speaking space just in front of the capo, for
emergencies. (gaffers won't gum-up the wires) Extra noise there is almost
always from energy that's "escaping" from the speaking length.
    The hall at NMSU has nifty motorized curtains on the side walls. Custom
voicing. The Spencer Theater has super-cool quick-adjusting baffles and
curtains, mainly above the main seating area.
Perhaps it's a good project to investigate for future enhancement of your
new facility.

Good luck,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM