1974 M & H B

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:22:45 -0600

>  It will never happen though,
>because
> > they wouldn't consider rebuilding everyone's favorite piano of the lot.
> >
>Having spent a year in Kansas, I know what that climate does to soundboards,
>especially in institutions!  North Carolina weather is easier on pianos.

And techs' ideas of what constitutes a viable or dead soundboard are
similarly diverse everywhere you go.

>She has already put several thousand dollars into it, and I'll
>begin by tossing that work.

Not uncommon, sadly.

>  Since this will be a two stage rebuild (action
>now, pinblock and restring in a year or two), I'm concerned to see as far up
>the road as possible, and not cause her to invest still more in a lost
>cause.

I don't think it's a lost cause, but it could use some design
modifications. This could be a nice piano with the right work, or a repeat
of what it was.

> > Should one want to? What is the detriment inherent in using a capo instead
> > of agraffes? Why is this a bad thing?
> >
>That's one of my questions! What do you think?
>
>Ed

There's no reason I know of that agraffes would be a better termination
system than a V bar in a capo if the capo is reasonably heavy and stiff.

Ron N