cross "B"east

Alan Crane alan.crane@wichita.edu
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:36:20 -0600

At 05:26 PM 3/26/03 -0600, Kent Swafford wrote:
>I'm working on a B; nothing is gonna be easy on this piano, it seems.
>
>The problem at hand: I have the piano de-strung. I would like to remove
>the "removable" cross strut from the plate, but so far it won't budge.

I'm no authority but it occurs to me that if the piano is _only_ de-strung
at this point, and the rim bolts (screws) and nose bolts have not been
loosened yet, you might look to those areas for some possible stress relief.
I'm especially wondering if the nose bolts might have been used to pull the
plate down in order to increase downbearing.  If that's the case (and if
they haven't been loosened yet), that "removable" cross strut may well be
clamped in place by the resulting plate deformation.

Just a thought, Kent.
Let us know what the solution turns out to be.          :)

Regards,

Alan Crane, RPT
School of Music
Wichita State University