cross "B"east

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:41:59 EST

Kent writes:
<< The problem at hand: I have the piano de-strung. I would like to remove
the "removable" cross strut from the plate, but so far it won't budge.
I have pulled _hard_. (Yes, I removed the bolts first.:)
    The restringing of the piano _will_ be completed Saturday, cross piece
on or cross piece off. Any ideas, great gurus? >>

Greetings,
   Is the plate still bolted in the piano case?  If so, the bar is probably
under a lot of compression, and if you do remove it, you will NOT get it back
in with anything less that pounding as the bolts are tightened.
   If the plate is out of the piano, then support the webbing and slowly move
the back sawhorse toward the front until the plate flexes enough to reduce
the strain. In the piano, you can do the same with the nosebolts, but I
certainly suggest a dial indicator be used first to determine if the
nosebolts are holding the plate up or down when the rim is bolted down.  I
place the indicator base on the plate and the dial's pin on the bridge as I s
lowly loosen the crown bolt.  It becomes evident if the nosebolt is holding
the plate up because the dial doesn't move when I loosen the nut.  If the
plate does rise, the nosebolt was holding it down and you may find that the
strut removes easily.
Good luck,
 Ed Foote RPT