cross "B"east

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:49:42 EST

Hi, Kent -

I think you can pull on that strut about as hard as you need to.  I'm sure it
will come out before you hurt it.  I'd consider pulling on it with your plate
hoisting system, whatever that is.  The limit then will be the weight of the
piano.  Alternatively, you could jack the strut from below using a
machinist's jack.  The jack will bear against the soundboard, so be judicious
about placement and pressure.  I expect this will do the trick especially if
tickled with light blows of a dead-blow hammer.

Good luck!

             -     Tom McNeil     -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the
stupid have an answer for every question."   -   Edward Abbey