Sustain was Re: 1974 M & H B

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:41:41 -0500

    While these arguments are worth considering, taken to extreme they =
would require at least 50 instruments to play the repertoire, or that =
each performer specialize in a very narrow repertoire.=20
    Meanwhile, in order to satisfy a greater variety of sustaining =
needs, I'm pleased to announce my new invention: The Historically =
Adjustable Soundboard Damper!  I'll be offering it to all the major =
manufacturers next week, and look forward to international acclaim.
    Ed S.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 5:30 AM
  Subject: Re: Sustain was Re: 1974 M & H B

  Hi Del=20
  Been busy I see :) Just wanted to say that this is the first time I've =
heard of complaining about too much sustain as well. I dont really know =
much more about him then he is a harpsichord builder that has a rather =
special international reputation. He likes old wood. And I guess he =
makes a pretty fair harpsichord.=20

  I posted this because I thought it was an interesting variant as well, =
and his argumention likewise.=20

  Cheers=20
  RicB=20
   =20
   =20

  "Barbara J. Fandrich" wrote:=20

      A little off the subject line here, this quote reminded me of =
something I heard a few weeks back from an eminent harpsichord builder =
in Northern Europe. Bear in mind the fellow is a piano forte' lover, =
dislikes the Steinway sound intensly, and in general dislikes the modern =
piano.=20
      His point was that this whole sustain issue is misunderstood from =
the get go. That is to say that there is no need for nearly the sustain =
levels modern pianos offer, ... that there is virtually no music written =
from any time period that requires more then half of this sustain level. =
 Never heard that argumentation  before.=20

      His position was that older instruments of the modern variant =
sounded better (read mellow) as they lost some of their power and =
sustain through the years.

    Your friend must not encounter the same jazz pianists that come our =
way.... Music evolves.=20

    This is the first time I've heard of anyone complaining about =
excessive sustain time. The increasingly hard and harsh sound quality of =
the modern piano, yes, even the excessively high overall power levels =
expected from them. But not sustain time. Interesting.=20

    Del

  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20
  RPT, N.P.T.F.=20