front or back

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:25:32 -0600

	This thread brings to mind a related question that I've wondered about for
some time. Steinway B's have varied in having either double trichords or
trichord and flat in the low tenor section. Current ones have trichord and
flat. In the 70's (the vintage of ten I take care of at the university),
they used double trichords. Most  of the newer ones I have run across with
trichord/flat have one to several that have been changed over to double
trichords (I've done it myself on occasion).
	I wonder what comments other folks might have on this. Was there a good
reason to go to trichord/flat? Were double trichords the rule for a pretty
long period? (A lot of the older vintage ones I care for have double
trichords, but that might have been rebuilder's choice rather than
following original design). Can anyone always make trichord/flats work
throughout? (Most of the time I can get them to work, but I have fooled
around far too long on some and ended up swapping to double trichord in
frustration).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico