front or back

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 07:45:36 -0600

Dale,
	I think that the small piece of felt was actually designed to straddle a
node, and is small so that it bears more heavily (a la a high heel spike
versus a regular flat heel). It's when the edge of a damper is at a node
that it creates a ring. Or so I have always pictured it. Less felt will
damp more efficiently than more felt if it is well placed (within limits).
	My sense is that the design came more from experience than from the human
equivalent of the CAD, though.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico