front or back

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:27:17 -0700

At 08:58 PM 9/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>This arrangement give good damping except on some S&S A 2s  which I think
>tmight have the dampers  sitting on nodal point. I've had some real
>trouble with damping in some of these. Perhaps this is why they were
>discontinued in favor of the A -3.
>      Dale

Hi, Dale. I once broke a long (unwound) tenor string in an S&S A (not sure
if A2 or A3 ...) and I had the very devil of a time getting the damper to
work after I replaced it. Well, it sort of worked, but had a nasty overtone
whine, even after I replaced the felt. I finally got fed up with it, and
put a small square of flat felt in between the two main pieces, near where
the wire went by. It worked great! And it couldn't be seen once installed.
Then, I noticed that all the tenor dampers had at least some of the same
problem, and probably would have worked better with a third small piece of
felt. I did one more which was particularly obnoxious.

Susan