front or back

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:58:23 EDT

In a message dated 9/3/2003 3:58:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sec@overspianos.com.au writes:

> While we see the felt arranged both ways, quieter damping will be achieved
> when the plain felt is at the back.
>

> Ron O.
> --

       Good answer Ron, I always wondered about that. We generally use this
Stwy configuration of damper felt in other grands and it works well. I don't
think I've ever heard an explaination of why in vintage stwys the bass damper
felt is arranged so that the longer piece is in front and a quite small piece
in the back. I'm going to guess that they were trying to avoid a nodal point
which could hum  harmonically. I frequently cut the basss felts in four pieces
in the mono chords and first 2 bichords then I go to two pieces ,the front one
being longer than the rear. This arrangement give good damping except on some
S&S A 2s  which I think tmight have the dampers  sitting on nodal point. I've
had some real trouble with damping in some of these. Perhaps this is why they
were discontinued in favor of the A -3.
     Dale