Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 04:37:01 -0500

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies.

The unvarnished truth is more difficult than it ought to be, since a
letter from the rebuilder claims that the piano is suitable for any of
the world's finest concert stages, that the action parts were chosen to
perfectly match the piano, etc. So I will have to write a letter saying
more or less the opposite, that the piano isn't suitable and the parts
don't match. Sigh.

The killer for me is the dampers, BTW. The piano doesn't sound right
with 3 extra open notes at the top -- too much sympathetic vibration
when playing the rest of the piano, and those notes themselves just
don't sound right being allowed to ring on. It's surprising how "wrong"
the piano sounds with F6, F#6, and G6 freely vibrating. I think
pianists will complain, and I'm not going to be the one who didn't tell
the hall managers.

Gotta letter to write,

Kent