Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:10:33 -0400

Kent,
I agree with David.  From what we learned at the Steinway presentation in
Dallas, it sounds like pre-84 dimension parts were used along with new
Steinway hammers, which are a good bit heavier than were the hammers for
which the pre-84 dimension was designed.  The 65-75 gram downweight is
exactly what Kent Webb described would be the result.

New York Improved parts are the same dimension as Hamburg parts, and
either/or are what Steinway recommends for all rebuilds with new Steinway
hammers for this very reason.

Perhaps Steinway can share a little of this blame for having been so
selfish with information up until the last couple of years?

Jeff

>The action parts appeared to be Renner, with real Steinway hammers, but
>the wips do not have screw-adjustable rep springs, so the parts
>couldn't be very new(?) Maybe the rebuild wasn't all that recent and
>the piano hadn't sold(?)
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks for letting me think "out loud".
>
>Kent Swafford