damper lever ht.

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:23:42 -0600

	I concur with what Jon is saying. I doubt there is any case where an
underlever should be horizontal at rest. Certainly this is not a rule of
thumb to go by. Or if there _is_ a rule of thumb, it is that the underlever
should slope downwards toward the key.
	 The bottom of a key at the balance rail is about 1" above keybed. The top
of a keyend felt is about 1 3/8. The bottom of an underlever at rest is
about 1 1/2". The midpoint of the movement of underlever/key end is about 1
5/8". The underlever center should be one the line between the key at
balance rail (1") and that midpoint (1 5/8"), and thus should be higher
than 1 5/8". How much higher depends on the length of the underlever. What
angle the bottom of the underlever should be depends to an extent on the
geometry of where the center is in relation to the underlever bottom.  And
finer measurements (than + or - 1/8") are desireable.
	I'd spend the time fine sanding and lubricating, as Jon suggests. I think
you'll find it a more productive use of your time.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Thursday, September 11, 2003 4:31 PM -0400 Jon Page