damper lever ht.

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:31:37 -0400

As I recall from reading somewhere (perhaps the Journal) the underlever
should be straight out horizontally
when the key is fully depressed. So the height of the pivot pins should be
adjusted to achieve this. I think
it would be counter productive to have the key lift the underlever beyond
horizontal.

Also, the key end lifter felt height at rest should be around 1 3/8". This
will result in the underlever rest position
to be about 1 1/2" above the key bed. So approximating with 1/4" damper
travel at the front end, figure pivot height
from a horizontal underlever at 1 3/4". I haven't tried this but it is
where I would start and fine tune from there.

Sand the bottoms of the underlevers smooth on the ends and area over the
tray lifter felt (if accessible),
and coat with McLube 444. Brush teflon powder onto the key end felts as
well. I've seen/felt some very rough
surfaces causing excess wear.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician