damper lever ht.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:46:26 EDT

List

An update on the damper tray issue. Today, I took Ed's suggestion, and
repositioned the damper tray.   I first ook all the dampers off, except the last
one. Then I removed the treble end block. I then lowered the tray as much as I
could I actually had the tray sitting on the dag at the treble end. I used some
soft felt about 1/4" thick to pad the dag. When I had the tray about where I
wanted, I tapped the block, to make a dimple. I I then drilled a hole about
3/8" below the original. I then removed the tray, and took out the bass end
block, and drilled a hole the same distance below the original. I put everything
back together, and put the dampers back on.

The damper lever height still has to be at 1 5/8", because that will allow
them to be lifted with the keys when the hammer is half way to the strings. But
I could see that the angle of the levers were quite a bit more level. I
couldn't lower the tray enough so that the levers would have been parallel with the
key fully depressed. But it is a lot better.

Thanks for all of you for your help, and especially to Ed for his advice. All
in all, it took me less than an hour to do the work,

Wim