Practice room grands

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:54:28 -0700

Dave,

Wow. That is a lot of broken strings! Are those hammers rock hard or have
you spent time softening them? How the heck do you get anything else done
around there after replacing all the strings?

Alan McCoy
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of David
M. Porritt
  Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 7:58 AM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Practice room grands

  Wow!  Since Kawai's are pretty high tension scales, I can't imagine how
many strings get broken with that kind of use!  Mind you, I like Kawais, but
that combination of piano and use!

  9 of our 10 piano major practice rooms have Steinway "L"s or "M"s.  The
other one is an older Baldwin.  All of them get frequent broken strings.  I
probably replace 5 to 8 a week.

  I'd like to tune them at least once a month too, but I wonder what I'd
have to neglect to do it.

  dave

  David M. Porritt, RPT

  Meadows School of the Arts