Practice room grands

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:57:30 -0500

Wow!  Since Kawai's are pretty high tension scales, I can't=
 imagine how many strings get broken with that kind of use!  Mind=
 you, I like Kawais, but that combination of piano and use!
9 of our 10 piano major practice rooms have Steinway "L"s or=
 "M"s.  The other one is an older Baldwin.  All of them get=
 frequent broken strings.  I probably replace 5 to 8 a week.
I'd like to tune them at least once a month too, but I wonder=
 what I'd have to neglect to do it.
dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275

From: Avery Todd <atodd@UH.EDU>
To: <dm.porritt@verizon.net>, College and University Technicians=
 <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Practice room grands

Dave,

If I had my "druthers", I'd like to tune them at least once a=
 month! With the
kind of music so many of the kids play (Prokofiev, etc.) and the=
 numbers of
hours they're in heavy use, ours need that. Probably more.

The problem we have here is that those piano major rooms (9 of=
 the 10) have
'lease' Kawais and are changed out every year, so it takes a bit=
 to start
getting even a little stability.

Avery