Practice room grands

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:40:49 -0600

Hi Dave,
	I don't really have a schedule, but I like to aim at once a month. In
reality, it ends up being about 6 times a year, but I try to supplement by
doing a rapid walk through - dealing with the worst unisons, or maybe a
section or two like low tenor and high treble - every three weeks or so.
	I also try (and come fairly close) to shape hammers once a year, and
supplement with a rapid crown steaming at mid year - Roger Jolly method. I
use a men's handkerchief, wrung out and stretched over hammers (it covers
about a section), and just ssst, ssst, ssst. Five minutes, and the bite is
gone. If string grooves are in evidence (fairly prominent), I run the
hammer rapidly over the crowns in a shoeshine type action (as in shoe shine
with a brush, as opposed to a cloth. Touch, lift, touch, lift). The way I
visualize it, the steam has puffed up the felt in the grooves about to
where it was prior to having been played hard for a few months, but the
felt out of the grooves was puffed as well. So I am ironing the nongroove
area back to level. I like the results, especially for the little time
involved. I think this helps keep string breakage down, as well (though I
don't have the dedicated students you are blessed and cursed with).
Regards
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, September 17, 2003 9:28 AM -0500 "David M. Porritt"