performance piano - student psychopathology 101

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:27:47 EDT

Kent writes:

<< there _is_ an identifiable mechanism by
which glover's needles might damage hammer felt, and that is that they
have sharp corners that appear to be sharp enough to slice fibers
rather than simply spread fibers as regular sewing needles do. I still
think glover's needles probably have no place in piano hammers. >>

   I agree.  What I know is that I ruined some hammers with only the regular
#6 needles by leaving the crown area alone while I continued to soften the
shoulders.  I stopped when the tone finally showed a change, but two weeks later,
I found that the hammers had big tears down to the underfelt on either side
of the contact area.  I bet the glover's needles would have ruined them faster.

   The only intelligent demonstration for using the glover's needles I have
seen was Chris Robinson's suggestion that ONE jab in each shoulder, all the way
to the core, could really bring some of the softer pressed hammers to life.
I tried it and it did work,but I never pursued it, since I could get the same
results with more numerous sticks with a smaller needle.
Regards,
Ed Foote