Steinway "pinning" dilemma

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:36:54 -0400

Jim Busby wrote:
> List,
>
> I forgot to put that I don't believe in checkering the tails because it
> tears up the backchecks. If the proper regulation is achieved i.e.
> angles etc. "checkering" is unnecessary, IMHO. I think they have to
> rough the tails to force the action to work properly.

Jim,

I agree, checkering is hard on the backcheck leather and it's noisy. But
it is often the only way to get hammers made from smooth wood to check
reliably. I often find it necessary to checker the tails of hammers with
hornbeam, maple or birch moldings. Mahogany and walnut work beautifully
with just a little roughening from a file card or 50 grit sand paper.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979