Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:42:56 -0400

Jim Busby wrote:
>You can make the action work by making sure rep. spring is not too
>strong and by periodically roughing the tails, but conventional wisdom
>says we need proper friction in the right places to make an action feel
>and work correctly. Right?? Any thoughts on this?

As I sat in the Steinway classes on Thursday at the Convention, and
listened to Eric Schandall, Ron Connor, and Kent Webb talk of 1-4 grams of
friction, I was reflecting back to last fall when our newest piano faculty
member, quite a player with an impressive resume, asked me to do something
with the light action on our most preferred D, an 8-year-old gem.  I knew
what she was asking.  She couldn't control a pianissimo.

I brought the action back to the shop.  The hammers were swinging about
15-20 times.  The flanges would not hold the screws without falling.  It
had been a couple of years since they'd been repinned and I knew what the
problem was.  I repinned the hammershank flanges with 4-8 grams of
resistance, and cranked the rep spring tension up so that the hammers would
rise.  There's no worry about bouncing at the top with that much friction,
and I've not had a problem yet with repetition.

When her Russian accent exclaimed the word "MAGICAL", I knew I had earned
her trust.  Checking problems vanished.  She raved about the voicing I had
done (none of course, except for repinning the flanges).  Again, in her
Russian accent, "you see, you have made this a wonderful instrument."

And just in time for her debut recital that evening that people are still
talking about a year later.

Just last week, after her rehearsal with the USC orchestra, she asked if we
could move that piano over next door to the Koger Center Performing Arts
Center for the concert. (I'm not the tech for the Koger piano)  Not
something we've ever done, but we did it for her this time.  You should
read the review of her performance.

Granted, the hammers are light on this instrument, I was getting about 48
grams downweight after the repinning.

(Back to the convention)  I couldn't imagine being able to control an
action with the friction parameters they were telling us were the ideal.
However, they HAVE increased the weight of the hammers for tonal reasons.
I assume the new friction parameters are an effort to offset the heavier
hammer weight, although I think Steinway has long advocated 1-4 gram
parameters.  But what they claim makes lower friction possible is the
impregnation of teflon in the bushing.  It's still quite firm, but there's
little friction there.

I haven't run into a new one yet with the new standards you are describing,
and though it would seem to me that the "new" way just couldn't possibly
result in enough friction for good control, that is from my experience with
actions before the changes had been made. I think I'd give a watch-and-see
before I tried to use old techniques on Steinway's new design, and if
you're still having problems, let the techs at Steinway hear about it.  I
got the impression they are making an honest effort to hear what we in the
field have to say.

My thoughts.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT