Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:00:39 -0700

Jim,

This is a problem which has existed since S&S went first to the solid
teflon bushings (ca. 1959) and then, more profoundly, since they then went
to "Teflon II" a few years later.

It is sad that, nearly 40 years later, they are still singing the same
song; and dogmatically returning precisely the same, problematic
non-solutions.  It is a fight that some of us have been carrying on for
decades.  Ultimately, you have to do what the people who sign your check
want to have done.  S&S will most likely not acknowledge a fault or problem
- so, you're on your own.  I have had to repin any number of virtually new
actions because of this problem; virtually all of them at customer expense.

If you have not had a chance, be sure that you get to one of the pinning
classes occasionally offered by Pris and Joel Rappaport.  In the meantime,
the advice you are getting from Jeff and others is very sound.  Their
experience parallels my own - especially as Jeff and Ed describe so
well.  The amount of power and control lost in this kind of pinning is so
obvious that non-apprehension of it escapes my understanding.  As I think
of it, I believe that loose hammer flange pinning also used to be part of
one of Norm Neblett's classes.

 From an earlier exchange between yourself and Ed:

You - "2 other techs who are top notch by any standard and
they totally agree with me. However, two Steinway techs say their system
works. How do I justify the two seemingly opposing systems and make the
pianos work to my standards without bucking Steinway?  >>"

Ed -     " Maybe you can't.  Maybe you can hope for is to give them a
choice.  Do
one of them the Steinway way, and then do another your way.  Let the
instruments speak for themselves.  Make a pitch for uncompromised
excellence.  We can be
in charge of shaping our clientele, it's not necessarily the other way "

I particularly like the phrase:

"Let the instruments speak for themselves".

They will; and, as you have already experienced, people with ears can and
do tell the difference.

Stick to your guns.  Produce the very best work of which _you_ are
capable.  Let the rest of the problems fall to the side.

Best.

Horace