bobbling hammers, again

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:19:33 EDT

Several months I asked about bobbling hammers in a grand. I discovered that
the shank lenght was too long.

I now have a similar problem with a D. But this time, I've rebuilt the action
with new Steinway parts, (new h,s,f and wipps). There are three notes that
are driving me nuts. Unless I really smack the note, the hammer doesn't want to
check. They boble so bad that they hit the string on the rebound.

The regulation is just like the other notes, (dip, l.o.,drop, etc.). Not only
is key dip just like its neighbors, but when I increased key dip, it didn't
solve the problem. There is enough damper lever clearance. I've adjusted the
back checks to where the hammer checks almost back down on the cushion. When I
try to make it check earlier, it catches. I've bent the checks so that the rake
is enough to clear the hammer on the way up, but still catches it on the way
down. I've reduced spring tension to the point of almost no rise, and I've
sanded the backs of the tails. I even changed wippens on one key, but the problem
is still there.

What are some other things I should look at?

Wim