bobbling hammers, again

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:10:26 -0700

You've increased dip but is the jack actually escaping?

David I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 2:19 PM
  Subject: bobbling hammers, again

  Several months I asked about bobbling hammers in a grand. I discovered =
that the shank lenght was too long.=20

  I now have a similar problem with a D. But this time, I've rebuilt the =
action with new Steinway parts, (new h,s,f and wipps). There are three =
notes that are driving me nuts. Unless I really smack the note, the =
hammer doesn't want to check. They boble so bad that they hit the string =
on the rebound.=20

  The regulation is just like the other notes, (dip, l.o.,drop, etc.). =
Not only is key dip just like its neighbors, but when I increased key =
dip, it didn't solve the problem. There is enough damper lever =
clearance. I've adjusted the back checks to where the hammer checks =
almost back down on the cushion. When I try to make it check earlier, it =
catches. I've bent the checks so that the rake is enough to clear the =
hammer on the way up, but still catches it on the way down. I've reduced =
spring tension to the point of almost no rise, and I've sanded the backs =
of the tails. I even changed wippens on one key, but the problem is =
still there.=20

  What are some other things I should look at?

  Wim