capstan spacing

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:28:56 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/04 11:15:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
awright440@cinci.rr.com writes:

noticed before removing the capstans that quite a few of them aren't
centered perfectly to the whip heels, some being quite noticeably off
to one side or the other. The rep levers are spaced to the hammer
shanks accurately (with the hammers spaced to the  strings).

Alan

You can try to center the cushions over the capstans by tilting the  wips.
You might need to paper the flange to do that, just like you paper  one corner
of a hammer flange to move the hammer to the right or lift. (not the  same as
traveling).

The other way to center the capstan under the wippen is to move the front  of
the key. I just did this on an older D. There were quite a  few capstans that
were not center under the wippen cushions. So after  I tilted the wips as
much as I could, I moved the front of the key slightly, and  moving some of the
keys around them to make sure the keys were still evenly  spaced. Also, make
sure the keys are level. That can also effect the centering  of the capstan.

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music