capstan spacing

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:41:50 +0200

Ask some design oriented guys more experienced than me, but seem to me that
the goal in placing capstan and pins is to align them on a straight line
(front pin, balance pin / capstan) while this ideal situation is not always
possible indeed.

Checvk the position of the mis centered capstans in that regard, may be they
are not so much off then ?

Interesting subject, those hand drilled instruments are not really accurate
for parts alignemnent in my opinion.

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]De la part de Allen
Wright
Envoyé : jeudi 5 août 2004 03:28
À : College and University Technicians
Objet : Re: capstan spacing

Wim and Vince,

My question would be, what happens to the spacing of the rep to the hammer
shank/knuckle after these acrobatics you mention?

I certainly shim the whip flange in order to space the lever to the hammer
flange, but I prefer to keep the top of the rep lever as horizontal as much
as possible, and not tilt the lever off of 90 degrees if I can help it.

But what I'm really getting at is this: I notice quite a few of the capstans
I've removed were slightly off center of the keys anyway, and not always in
the right direction (making the capstan spacing noticeably off). It just
seems to make sense to me to take advantage of the opportunity (while
drilling new capstan holes) to see where the whip heels are when all the
action parts are properly spaced to the strings (particularly in the bass
and tenor, where the strings can't be moved) and drill capstans off center
purposely in the right direction.

Probably even just some form of eyeballing the relationship of the whip
heels to the keys could be used to mark where to drill the capstan holes. I
wondered though if anyone has thought about this and perhaps come up with a
real accurate way to do it.

I also wonder if there is any reason why slightly off-center capstans could
be a bad idea, in terms of geometry or wear. Perhaps more wear on one side
of the keybushings? I imagine that would be subtle if noticeable at all.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Allen Wright
Northern Kentucky University