capstan spacing

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:37:56 -0400

If the majority are off center, look at stack placement. Many-a-time I've
shimmed it towards the bass,
the thickness of a piece of veneer may be enough to make a difference. Look
at action orientation too.
Look at how the shanks align over the rest felts/ends of wips since
knuckles to rep levers is OK.

I assume you are intending on moving the capstan back on the key by saying
you'll need assist springs
to accommodate the touchweight. I have always encountered the opposite on
B's. I don't recall a B which
didn't have the jack burying into the stop felt, too high KR causing
excessive wippen travel.  Don't be surprised if
you have to relocate the heel as well. (Obviously the b/r was routinely
placed too far forwards).

Regards,

Jon Page