capstan spacing

Allen Wright awright440@cinci.rr.com
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:07:14 -0400

Wim...

Maybe you're right about tilting the whips being okay in terms of=20
action function and efficiency, I don't know. I guess we're talking=20
theoretical stuff with that.

If keys are warped, is it possible to straighten them out, and if so=20
how?

and Jon...

This action has a KR of .55 and (in spite of six leads in the bass and=20=

proper shank geometry) has a downweight of around 65-70 grams. That's=20
why I'm moving capstans forward 5 mm and whippen heels (via Miracle=20
Whips) accordingly. I'm going to get rid of a lot of inertia and get=20
the balance weight and touchweight down to a good level. Keydip will be=20=

okay (in terms of jacks), also.

Allen

On Thursday, August 5, 2004, at 07:08  AM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/4/2004 8:28:46 PM Central Standard Time,=20
> awright440@cinci.rr.com writes:
>
> My question would be, what happens to the spacing of the rep to the
> hammer shank/knuckle after these acrobatics you mention?
>
> I certainly shim the whip flange in order to space the lever to the
> hammer flange, but I prefer to keep the top of the rep lever as
> horizontal as much as possible, and not tilt the lever off of 90
> degrees if I can help it.
>
> Alan
> =A0
> Considering that the only place the wip and the hammer actually=A0meet=20=

> is the jack hitting the knuckle, I don't think tilting the wip to=20
> accommodate both the capstan=A0and the hammer flange will make enough =
of=20
> a=A0difference. You not tilting it enough.
> =A0
> But since you're redrilling the holes anyway, I guess it doesn't hurt=20=

> to center them, without=A0 the acrobatics to the wippens.=A0But if the=20=

> capstans were off center to begin with, but are now not centered on=20
> the cushions, could that have been cause by the keys warping slightly?=20=

> As I said, one of the solutions was to space the front of the key. But=20=

> perhaps the key itself needs to be straightened out.
> =A0
> Wim

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available