capstan spacing

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:08:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/2004 8:28:46 PM Central Standard Time,
awright440@cinci.rr.com writes:
My question would be, what happens to the spacing of the rep to the
hammer shank/knuckle after these acrobatics you mention?

I certainly shim the whip flange in order to space the lever to the
hammer flange, but I prefer to keep the top of the rep lever as
horizontal as much as possible, and not tilt the lever off of 90
degrees if I can help it.
Alan

Considering that the only place the wip and the hammer actually meet is the
jack hitting the knuckle, I don't think tilting the wip to accommodate both the
capstan and the hammer flange will make enough of a difference. You not
tilting it enough.

But since you're redrilling the holes anyway, I guess it doesn't hurt to
center them, without  the acrobatics to the wippens. But if the capstans were off
center to begin with, but are now not centered on the cushions, could that
have been cause by the keys warping slightly? As I said, one of the solutions was
to space the front of the key. But perhaps the key itself needs to be
straightened out.

Wim