health insurance (Fred)

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:03:16 -0700

Hi, Fred

I could agree with you if the system which everybody by default belonged to
was for catastrophic coverage such as you described, and all the daily
little stuff was either paid for out of pocket, or for the indigent, was
provided by public clinics, partly government-funded and partly funded
through private charity. I could especially agree if the universal coverage
were honestly and thriftily run. What is the chance of that?

Medicare cheating is a huge problem. So are excessive lawsuits and
settlements. The patchwork of private health insurers, some downright
rapacious, and the amount of time and money spent on their individual
paperwork is ruinously expensive and inefficient. And we all know about the
pricing policies and profit margins of big pharma.

If the machine one is expected to join to keep from taking advantage of the
public purse is so completely corrupted and broken, and if one, being
self-employed, will have to get the shortest end of the stick, is one still
morally obligated to jump right in? I didn't set up this mess! And I don't
think that most prescription medicines and standard medical practice are
all that effective. In fact, I think that a lot of what doctors do is
downright dangerous. I see those ads talking about seniors forced to choose
between food and medication, and I wish they'd have the sense to buy the
food and just leave the multiple dubiously-interacting prescriptions in the
pharmacy. Well, it's their choice, but I know what I would do.

Like you, I am a very light user of medical services, and I try to make
healthy choices. I think that I am unlikely for the foreseeable future to
burden the public purse with medical costs. All but the worst eventualities
I can pay for out of pocket, even though I would be forced to pay the
inflated prices needed for the huge labor force generating paperwork for
other people's insurance.

At the very least, the government could mandate standard billing forms.
Even that would save billions of dollars.

I see your point, but I don't think that this is a black-and-white issue.

The real nightmare for me would be if I were forced to pay 20% of my income
for medical services I despised, distrusted, and never intended to use.

Susan Kline