health insurance (Fred)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:25:03 -0600

	I've used enough bandwidth on the subject, but would like to respond very
briefly to a couple posts (which responded to mine).

	Ed Foote: Hey, I don't want to pick a fight with a biker (or ex-biker) <g>
I'll defer to your knowledge of helmets versus accidents and their results.
Let me substitute a bicyclist riding without a helmet; a driver or
passenger without a seat belt; someone sanding without a dust mask; a
smoker; I'll go farther and mention someone who allows the middle to bulge
and doesn't get quite enough exercise. Any of those folks who say "It's
none of your business, I'm just hurting myself" is in denial. The negative
effect of the activity will spill over to family and friends, and to the
society at large. And in almighty dollars, as well as emotionally and
spiritually. So lose the biker analogy, but keep the irresponsible behavior
analogy.

Dale Erwin: I alsolutely agree with you that "health care" is the
individual responsibility of each and every one of us. And, like you, I
also resent paying through the nose for insurance against "sick care" that
I never use. Problem is, there is a need for "sick care" and it could be
mine or your need, or that of someone we love. And there will be a need,
without any doubt whatsoever, eventually. So we need to deal with it in
some fashion. The current system sucks.

Susan Kline: I would much prefer a universal catastrophic care coverage,
just as you do. And to pay as I go for ordinary care. But unfortunately I
don't find that possible today. 20 years ago, my wife and I had a great
physician (GP, family care), and had a great pediatric group taking care of
our kids (we had no insurance - other than major, paying as we went). Ten
years later, our physician had quit private practice, then practice in
general in disgust at working with insurance and HMO's. And our pediatric
group had failed (though it was seemingly thriving, well-run, and had
excellent staff) as had two succeeding pediatric groups we went to. About
this point is when we could no longer get even major medical coverage on my
wife.
	Have you looked lately for a physician who will accept a patient who
doesn't have health insurance? I expect it varies from area to area, but
here in Albuquerque it is next to impossible. It's either belong to an HMO
or be covered by medicaid. There's no in between. The self-employed are
caught between a rock and a hard place. I personally see no palatable
alternative to a national universal system - or at least none that has a
realistic chance of coming to pass.

	Well, enough on that topic from this pen. On to bulk pitch lowering season
<g>

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico