health insurance (Fred)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 22:46:52 EDT

Fred  writes:

<< Let me substitute a bicyclist riding without a helmet; a driver or
passenger without a seat belt; someone sanding without a dust mask; a
smoker; ,snip>The negative
effect of the activity will spill over to family and friends, and to the
society at large. And in almighty dollars, as well as emotionally and
spiritually.>>

There are crazier things than those mentioned:
     I was placed in the ICU several years ago because I had some chest pains
and a family history of heart attacks, (turned out I was completely OK).
While I was in there, there was a guy screaming his head off, for hours!   When I
asked what he had, I was told that he was suffering from the DT's.  He was a
homeless alcoholic who had collapsed on the sidewalk and the cops brought him
to the hospital.
   He was pumped full of valium to alleviate the withdrawal damages, and it
was going to take about three days in ICU.  He had no health insurance so the
cost of his "treatment" was going to be amortized across all of the other
billing,(that means my insurance co. and me).
  It was the third time in a year that he had done this, and the nurse said
that he would probably continue to do this until he died.  She figured he could
go a couple of more years. Estimated cost per visit= $22,000.
THAT is insanity.

Ed Foote RPT