health insurance (Fred)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:37:54 +0200

Fred, thanks for that comments ,you remind me that I still have to do
that before September 15 ;(

I usually let the pitch go down in the last months, but even if I
allow for pitch to float up a tad, the treble and bass are tuned at a
442 as a standard generally.

I was not able to sell damp chaser units in those places, are you
experiencing suffisent correction due to the judicious use of them in
some places (or is the pitch change still noticeable ?)

That is sometime difficult to me to see all that waste of time tuning
for pitch correction, while we know that we need a huge stability to
really obtain the best tunings.

Best Regards "bon courage !".

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Fred Sturm [mailto:fssturm@unm.edu]
Envoye : mardi 10 aout 2004 02:32
A : oleg-i@noos.fr; College and University Technicians
Objet : RE: health insurance (Fred)

Hi Isaac,
	Yes, I lower to 440 at the moment. Classes begin August 23 - two
short
weeks. All pianos go to 440 this week. Judging from history, humidity
(and
pitch) is still rising, and will for a few (3 - 4) more weeks.
Thereafter,
humidity and pitch will drop. So pianos I tune now will rise a bit (to
441
- 442) and then fall, to about 440 by the beginning of October. Most
of
them will get touched up wherever they are (unisons for the most part)
at
some point between now and then.
	In about two weeks, I'll start lowering pitch only to 441 - 442
(depending
on where the piano is - what usage it gets) on the assumption that
we'll be
just about at peak high humidity and they will drop pretty soon. It's
a bit
of a gamble, as weather can be variable, but this year is acting
pretty
normal so far (our so-called "monsoon season" is actually happening).
	The concert instruments I'll tune to 440, allow to rise to 441 before
adjusting pitch again.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Monday, August 9, 2004 11:51 AM +0200 Isaac OLEG <oleg-i@noos.fr>
wrote:

> Hi, Fred,
>
> Do you lower the pitch at this moment ? to be ready for September ?
>
> I've find that floating the pitch in the last school months helps,
if
> I strive fo 440 in June, I have 444 or more to deal with in
September