health insurance (Fred)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:31:57 -0600

Hi Isaac,
	Yes, I lower to 440 at the moment. Classes begin August 23 - two short
weeks. All pianos go to 440 this week. Judging from history, humidity (and
pitch) is still rising, and will for a few (3 - 4) more weeks. Thereafter,
humidity and pitch will drop. So pianos I tune now will rise a bit (to 441
- 442) and then fall, to about 440 by the beginning of October. Most of
them will get touched up wherever they are (unisons for the most part) at
some point between now and then.
	In about two weeks, I'll start lowering pitch only to 441 - 442 (depending
on where the piano is - what usage it gets) on the assumption that we'll be
just about at peak high humidity and they will drop pretty soon. It's a bit
of a gamble, as weather can be variable, but this year is acting pretty
normal so far (our so-called "monsoon season" is actually happening).
	The concert instruments I'll tune to 440, allow to rise to 441 before
adjusting pitch again.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico