Verdigris

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:54:16 -0400

Lance-

I doubt it.  If you want to check, you could heat the rail and see if anything runs out.

A paraffin  treatment is sometimes used in recorders (flutes) to make them moisture resistant.  If you leave the instrument in the sun, the paraffin will seep out.

This leads me to wonder what role heat may play in the formation of verdigris.

It may also be possible, if historic parts must be reused, to microwave them to drive out the paraffin.  But hey, that was historic paraffin, wasn't it?

Ed  Sutton

----- Original Message -----
From: llafargue
To: College and University Technicians
Sent: 8/10/2004 9:33:41 PM
Subject: RE: Verdigris

I agree with replacing the parts for a real solution.  My question is…. Does the tallow work into the rails enough to transfer later and affect new parts?  I clean the rails and brush till they look pretty new, but I know the stuff is still there somewhere.   Thanks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO