Verdigris

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:08:27 -0400

Tim Coates seems to think some of us are being "uppedy".  I disagree.  The
question was about remedies for verdigris, and other than a few jokes about
Wild Turkey, that's what the answers were about.  Tim also credited the
"List" with considering 25 years as "permanent".  No, that didn't come from
the list, that was my remark when I said I did not consider 25 years to be
"temporary".

Other than a few unfortunate jokes, I think the responses came straight
from the experiences of those who responded.  I know mine did, and I was
not trying to be "uppedy".  I have had complete success with new parts,
good success with re-bushing and re-pinning, and very poor success with
solvents and/or lubricants.  It has come to the place where I will not put
any liquid into a bushing that will not completely evaporate - and that's
why I use pure grain alcohol and distilled water for shrinking.

I know what Tim is saying, and I raise this question.   Tim, do you know
for a fact that the problem was really verdigris, and not something else?
Now, as for the "Wild Turkey".  I think some were too quick to pass this
off in a joking manner.  As I recall, this stuff is charcoal filtered and
aged in charcoal casks.  Charcoal is mostly carbon, right?  And so it
graphite, which we all know is a darned good dry lubricant.  So, what's in
the Wild Turkey that's going to be left behind when the alcohol and water
evaporate?  I'm sure you follow me.  Is it going to be some sort of dry
lubricant, or some sort of goo, or what?  We know something is going to be
left behind, because that stuff is not a clear liquid.  It does have some
color.  What about good old Tennessee Jack Daniels?  That's worth a try too.

I think my next little research project will be to visit the neighborhood
liquor store, buy some samples, put some samples out in a clean glass dish,
let it evaporate, and see what kind of stuff is left behind.  I'll let you
know later.

Will you settle for that, Tim?

Jim Ellis