Verdigris

Tim Coates tcoates1@sio.midco.net
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:05:36 -0500

Jim,

My intent was not to call other technicians "uppity" because they have
the luxury of working on only grand pianos.  I was trying to be very
clear that in this part of the country people perceive a piano
technician who decides to do that as being "uppity".  I am telling you
all what the customers are like here.  I wish I could only work on
grands, but I can't for previously  stated reasons.

I don't know what makes you think I am upset about the jokes.  I make
jokes as I buy the bourbon.  I make jokes with the customers (and they
make jokes).   I was asked point blank by Jim B. if I was kidding him.
I told him I was dead serious.  He asked a straight question and I gave
him a straight answer.  Not once have I asked people to stop making
jokes about Wild Turkey.  I have asked why people revere and doubt
Fred Drasche. I fail to see how this is being upset about jokes.  I
thought the volunteers to do the experiments was great.

I pointed out (as Joe Goss did) that there is a big difference between
$1500 and $10 to make a repair.  We must weigh out the situation and
find the best fit for the customer.

If you want to do experiments that's great.  It won't change anything I
do.  Others have decided to try different methods because of this
discussion.  I think they will make up their own minds without
scientific experiments.  I will continue to tell others about it, just
as Fred Drasche talked about it at a seminar at Hendrick's in Chicago
in 1978.

Good luck with your experiments.  Oh by the way, Fred indicated that
the flange is cleansed/sized and it has to be wood grain alcohol in the
form of bourbon to do the job correctly.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota