humidity and tuning

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:00:36 -0500

Sorry I wasn't clear here guys;

when I said "up to the beams," I meant "under the soundboard," NOT "up to
the ceiling!"  :>)

I'm wondering about a large tank that "is" the humidifier.

(Richard, are you perhaps suggesting an "auto-watering" system that feeds
the humidifier tank?)

Dampp-Chaser recently shared information about "portable" system racks (such
as we have under the concert pianos in Banff) that can be rolled under/out
from underneath the pianos at will.

Why not make one with a 5 or 10 gallon capacity to slip beneath stationary
studio grands to get around the "watering issues" Fred describes.

What are the "why-nots" if we can think of any?

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Conrad Hoffsommer
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 11:30 AM
To: rwest1@neb.rr.com; College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: humidity and tuning

Dick,

At 12:18 8/11/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
>I like this idea.  I've thought for a long time that Dampp-Chaser should
>have an institutional model that is just as you describe.

>but what might happen if we fit a 10 gallon pail with heater bar and wicks,
>connected to stat, elevated up to the beams, filled with water and
>H-Treatment, and let it go for 3 months?
>
>best regards,
>Mark Cramer
>Brandon University

Heck, we get this effect from roof leaks.

I'd hate to see a bunch of water, above piano level, that the students
could see and get at...
I know,  I know... job security and all that, but that type I don't need.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The shortest distance between two points is under construction.