Updating CAUT Job Description

Dorothy Bell dabell58@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:25:02 -0400

I really like the revision.

To me, the tactical benefit is in the replacement of "doing" verbs --
maintains, rebuilds, tunes -- with two "thinking" verbs -- manages, designs
-- and two "professional judgement/action" verbs -- implements, executes.
This distinction is very important in a lot of job descriptions (e.g., LPN
compared with RN) and has the effect of bringing the job into the perceived
professional area. (I'm not saying we are not always professional, I'm
talking about perception by others who are not aware of what we do.)

In many fields, this distinction between "doing" and "acting on
professional judgment" amounts to a factor of two in salary.

I like the incorporation of the value of the work to the university as well.

Best wishes,
Dorrie Bell