Bourbon

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:09:32 -0400

As perhaps the only living PTG RPT owner of a bar (in my hotel and jazz =
club, the Deer Head Inn) I feel it is my duty to clarify a few erroneous =
conclusions I have recently read on this list. First, I have no doubt =
Bourbon or any other distilled spirit will improve Steinway flanges with =
verdigris. It may even improve Gary Green or for that matter Kent Webb =
and it obviously improved Fred Drasche ( and why was that phrase "ala =
Drasche" started?). However, anyone who has tended bar and spilled some =
bourbon would know that it certainly will leave a sticky residue on the =
bar, on the floor, on your clothes, in the flange, etc. It is made from =
corn with quite abit of flavor left in. Perhaps this is a good place to =
begin your experiments. A lamp would hasten the process of evaporation, =
as turning on the lights in the bar at closing time does so well. =
Ever-Clear Grain Alchohol (no longer available in the Commonwealth of PA =
due to child blindness) is perhaps viable but almost anything else would =
leave some sort of residue. Triple filtered Vodka like Skyy could maybe =
work too. Alchohol has been known to improve many things including =
audience perception of a not quite up to par band here at the Deer Head =
but that is the liquor form and I think for piano work we had better =
stick to the more industrial forms, except of course for after work =
libation in which case apply liberally. Even having one too many once in =
while is not a bad thing, but never, never operate power tools or drive =
an automobile. There is enough tragedy in the world. I hope this has =
laid to rest some of the folksie wisdom out there but I know from =
experience there will be those who still believe a little bourbon =
improves everything. By the way the 101 Wild Turkey leaves less residue. =
Gotta go open the bar, estay sa sesaway. Chris Solliday